Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Workin' It Wednesday - Marriage



Today I'm linking up with Shay and Erika for Workin' It Wednesdays! Today's topic is Keeping Your Marriage Strong! 



Wow!! Why does this topic make me so nervous!! HA! Anyone else?   I think it's because I'm obviously not an expert. And we've only been married 8 years, so I think we still have a lot to learn!  but I'll try to lay out a few things that work for us.


1. Love languages - 


We took an 8 week marriage class while we were engaged. One of the things we did was read through this book. Wow. It was really eye opening to read through the different love languages and distinguish what languages ranked highest for each of us. 

The 5 love languages are:
Physical Touch 
Quality Time
Acts of Service
Gifts
Words of Affirmation

Mine have actually changed over the years. Physical touch used to be my number one, but it has now been replaces by acts of service. I think the change for me goes hand-in-hand with being a mom! There is nothing better to me than Austin cleaning the whole entire kitchen. Now that is sexy! So I think paying attention to shifts and being aware of your partners needs can go a long way. Nothing makes Austin happier than sitting right next to me on the couch and getting a back scratch. 



2. Quality Time - Yes this is a love language!! But I feel like the more time we spending doing stuff together the more in sync we are as a couple and as a family. Honestly we really like to do stuff as a big family! It's really fun and we enjoy each other. I also really enjoying doing something together each night after our kids go to bed. Typically we watch a show together (right now it's Friends!), or we both read etc. 

3. Relationship Mentors - Having someone in your life that you can look up to and model your relationship after can really help too. Is there someone that you can go to for help or advice? If not seek out some people! You don't have to formally ask them to mentor you, but start working on your relationship with them. 



4. Money - We both respect our finances. Lots of couples fight over money. Luckily I am married to someone who has the same money values as I do. Our thoughts on money naturally align but we have also put some time into working on this area together. We've done both Crown Financial and Dave Ramsey as a couple. I would highly recommend checking out these classes if you haven't. We also run big purchases by each other before we buy stuff. That way there are not suprises at the end of the month. 

5. Dates - I love date nights. It's important for us to break away from our house and kids and just enjoy each other. We also love kidless vacations! It's a lot of work to arrange babysitters but it's totally worth it!! 



This is really good timing because we are actually attending a marriage conference this weekend!! 
Dr. Tim Kimmel from Family Matters is coming to our church to put on The Grace Filled Marriage. I'm really excited to go! I'll let you know if I learn anything good!!


And now I'm off to give my hubby a back scratch because I'm feeling a little guilty! 

3 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, yes! I'm so glad you mentioned 5 Love Languages too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we just read the 5 love languages and im so glad we did! it really helps to know what makes the other one work given various circumstances! So glad you joined the link up and can't wait to read more of your blog! hope you'll stop by mine as well :) Happy Wed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My love language changed from words of affirmation to acts of service too because YES kids :)!!!

    ReplyDelete