Thursday, May 5, 2016

Rest Time

"Have a good rest time Baker" I say as I walk out the door. "Have a good rest time mommy" he replies back.

Those 6 little words are pure bliss! Yes sir, I will have a good rest time! First I head to the kitchen and load the rest of the dishes before I click it on. Then to the sink where I wash today's mess. But after that is my favorite time of the day, mommy rest time! Both boys are "resting" and I might be able to squeeze in 30 minutes to an hour (if I'm lucky), of uninterrupted me time.

Yes, mommies deserve a rest time too.  I don't feel guilty about it either, not even a little bit. Sure there is laundry to be done and toilets to scrub but it'll still be there in a hour. If I was still teaching school I would get breaks. I would be able to decompress during a 30 minute        lunch time and a conference period. I would have time to sit and recharge. I would have alone time in the car during the drive too, even if it's just 5-10 minutes.



Some days I use my time to watch a show. Other days it is used to spend time in the word and in prayer. Some days I spend it talking to my mom or sister on the phone. There are also days where I just need to sit in the quiet and rest. It's my blogging time, organizing time, creating time, social media time and house decorating time. There are days that I don't get a single minute and honestly there are some days that I sneak in 2 hours of absolutely nothing and it's glorious. It's the only time of the day where I am not waiting on someone else hand and foot or being climbed on like a jungle gym.

When my time is over I feel ready to face the rest of the day. I come out on the other side a better mom, wife and person. I'm ready to play hide-n-seek for the millionth time. I'm ready to take on a physical match of monster trucks or build the tallest building ever. I'm energized enough to spend time outside and let them get crazy with the water hose.

So mama, I give you permission to pour yourself a cup of tea or coffee and go sit! Put your feet up and read a book. Do it now! Set a 30 minute timer if you feel guilty. Treat yourself and stop feeling bad about it. I'm here to tell you that you deserve it.

I better go enjoy my last few moments of me time because I know pretty soon I will here these words, "Mommy can I come out now."

5 comments:

  1. My day must include a rest time too! You're exactly right, we DO DESERVE IT! Yes friend! Yes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one!! It's essential!!

      Delete
  2. Girl, I always told people when I went back to work that being in my office is like a vacation. I get to drink a cup of coffee before it goes cold and can sit in one place for more than 5 minutes. I have no idea how you do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is definitely give in take for both situations!!! Like mornings and drop offs!! Ughh I don't know how you do that!!

      Delete
  3. Good for you in taking breaks. Well deserved! Love that blue cup. :)

    ReplyDelete