Tuesday, February 23, 2016

The Daniel Plan week 5-6

We have officially completed 40 days of the Daniel Plan!!! WAHOO!!!



Let's discuss the last 40 days!

1. I would never try to start this plan without a support group. FRIENDS are crucial is making this plan successful. Even if it's just one person! If you are married or have roommates beg them to join you! It will be a lot easier on everyone.

2. FAITH - The entire process wouldn't exist without this crucial part. Lots of prayer went into the last 40 days. Not to mention this 40 days coincided with Baker turning three. The terrible threes are so real. Lots of prayers have gone into that too.

3. I have had so much fun working out with Austin. The FITNESS portion has really made a difference in the way I feel on a daily basis. Minus being sick this week, we have been consistently working out for 8 weeks now.

4. FOCUS - We all need to renew our mind and get ourselves grounded in Godly principles to be successful in anything. If we don't do these things the enemy will creep in and destroy our spirit. Listen, it is important that you don't let the enemy in during this plan. He might convince you that you need that cookie or ice cream in order to be happy.

5. The biggest thing we have talked about during this study was FOOD. I think because it is the most dramatic aspect for people. Here are my thoughts on what we will keep and what we will ditch. Remember these are MY thoughts.

confession - I always try to eat healthy and make good decisions but this is the first time I have ever attempted any plan. I am super proud of myself for sticking with it for 40 days.


- My taste buds changed. I don't need things to be sweetened and I had an m&m this weekend and it was WAY too sweet. It's amazing how our taste buds can change based on the foods we are eating.

- I really enjoyed eating the 70+% cacao chocolate. This will be a keeper in our house for sure!

- I love oatmeal for breakfast. I like to add cinnamon, apples and walnuts.

- I could not eat enough "spicy" popcorn!


- I am so ready to add some dairy back to our diet. The plan doesn't require you to cut it out for the entire 40 days but we set that as a goal for our house.

-I am ready to have a little more variety back to our lunch times! We ate a lot of eggs and I think I need a little egg break!

- I have become really addicted to tea the last 40 days! I already drank hot tea every morning but now I like to drink unsweetened coconut tea in the afternoons too. It became my special treat and I love it.

- The entire plan is all about building a lifestyle. We are pretty passionate about a healthy lifestyle.

-I didn't really lose a lot of weight. I lost 3-5 pounds depending on the day but was hoping to lose at least 6 pounds. That would have put me back to pre-baby weight. I will say that more than pounds, I think I lost inches. I wish I would have taken measurements before we started but I can tell a difference in the way my clothes fit.

Our main goal moving forward is to live by a 90/10 rule:
-eat healthy 90% of the time.
-splurge and enjoy the other 10% without guilt!

All of that being said, I am so glad we participated in The Daniel Plan with our entire church. Since we just moved to Abilene, 7 months ago, we are still finding our place. Doing this plan really developed a sense of belonging and community for us. It allowed us to have a common denominator to start conversations with new friends. It's something I would do again! But for now I might enjoy a little food freedom!

Week 1 / Week 2 / Week 3 / Week 4 
Thanks for coming along this 40 day journey with me!


3 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you friend! And thank you so much for documenting this along the way. This has really spoken to my heart too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving your blog!! I just read a bunch of posts actually, really great. Also, your kids are adorable and there names are perfection!

    Xox Dana Ivy // www.iadorewhatiilove.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your insights on the plan. I don't know if I could have stuck to it but I will say that you inspired me to pop my own popcorn. I've been making it ever since you posted that spicy popcorn pic several weeks ago. :)

    ReplyDelete