Monday, January 25, 2016

Tortilla-less Soup

I wrote a recipe! WHAT?! No one is surprised more than me! After doing The Daniel Plan for 2 weeks, I was tired of eating food that I wasn't enjoying. I decided to do something about it! I grabbed my Pioneer Woman cookbook and did a little searching. I ended up making up my own recipe after being inspired by her Chicken Tortilla Soup.


Chicken Tortilla-less Soup


INGREDIENTS:
3 cups cooked chicken
1 teaspoon chili powder
3/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 cups tomatoes (diced or whole grape tomatoes)
1 jalapeno
4 cloves garlic
1 onion
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
4 cups organic chicken broth
4 cups water
3 cups cooked black beans (or 2 cans)


1. Chop the bell peppers, jalapeno, onion, and garlic. Add them to a large pot with 2 Tbsp olive oil.

2. Add the grape tomatoes to the pot and cook over medium heat

3. Add chili powder, cumin, salt and garlic powder.

4. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the veggies turn golden brown.

5. Remove approx 1/2 cup (big spoon full) tomatoes to a food processor and puree. Don't worry if some of the other veggie sneak in too.


6. Return pureed tomatoes to the pot.


7. Add shredded chicken, water and chicken broth.

8. Add drained black beans to the soup.

9. Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer. Season to taste with salt, garlic powder, cumin and chili powder.

10. Add a generous squeeze of lime and an avocado to each bowl and enjoy!



Makes about 6-7 servings.


Notes:

My favorite way to make chicken:
Add 4 (or more) chicken breasts into the crock pot with salsa. Cook on high for about 4 hours. When it's done, I shred it with 2 forks. I use what I need and measure out the rest to freeze. I typically freeze 2-3 cups together in quart size bags. Then when I need chicken I can grab a bag out of the freezer with pre-measured and cooked chicken.


If you are following the Daniel Plan make sure you watch the ingredient labels on the salsa. Look for a salsa that doesn't have sugar or MSG. Like this one.

We also cooked our own black beans. We were trying to avoid buying canned beans. If you do this just try to remember to pre-soak them and cook them before you start prepping the soup! I forgot! yikes!

If you really want tortillas in your soup you could add organic corn tortillas. I could not find any at our local grocery store but maybe you will have better luck!

We had these rice chips with our soup. They were really yummy. I found mine at Sams.




I hope you enjoy a yummy bowl of good soup this week!






1 comment: