Thursday, January 14, 2016

The Daniel Plan

This week we are started The Daniel Plan with our church. Until a few weeks ago, I had never heard of this study. It was written in 2013 by Pastor Rick Warren, Dr. Amen, and Dr. Hyman. I'm not sure where I've been the last 3 years? Oh wait I've had 2 babies since 2013. Clearly I just missed this study completely! I have done  a study by Rick Warren before, The Purpose Drive Life.  It was excellent!

The Daniel Plan focuses on 5 core essentials for creating a healthy life: faith, food, fitness, focus and friends.

I'm excited to dig deeper into this plan and learn more about the 5 areas of life.

Okay so this next part is just an accountability part for myself. I'm gonna be honest about where I fit into each of these categories.

Faith - We are regular church goers. We attend a life group with 6 other couples every week. Our life group is pretty deep (in my opinion) and we are doing this study together! YEAH! I'm terrible about doing a quiet time in this stage of my life. Honestly it's always been something I've struggled in but it's extra hard with little kids. If I get up early then so do they. How do they know? Does anyone else have this problem.

Food - We live by a 85% health rule - We eat healthy 85% of the time and 15% of the time we don't. I find it's easy to eat healthy at meals but snack time is where I struggle. It's not that I eat junk per say but I will eat things my kids snack on like pretzels, crackers and graham crackers. Those aren't exactly health foods. Today is day 3 of our food commitment. The first day was really easy because I was busy all day long. Day two was much harder because I was at home all day.


Fitness - Let's start by saying my major in college was exercise physiology. Exercise is something I've always been passionate about and love to do. BUT I have not been in a great exercise routine since I had Baker 3 years ago. Austin and I committed to getting back in shape together this year. We are in week 2 of our program.

Focus - huh? What Focus?

Friends - I can't wait to see what the Daniel plan has to say about this. We are doing this plan with our life group friends. I'm excited to have their accountability and support. I would say friends is a hard subject for us right now. We have some amazing close friends from other stages in life, college and McKinney. We are working on digging in deeper with new friends here. It just takes time. We are moving in the right direction and excited about our new relationships we are building.

YAY! I am excited and nervous for this plan. I'll try to keep you updated on our journey!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting to learn your major. Such a fascinating area of study. Our bodies are fascinating. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete