Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Daniel Plan Week 1

We survived week 1 of The Daniel Plan! We are reading through the book and talking about each section at church and in our life group.  This week we are concentrating on faith.

Faith

Faith is by far the most important of all 5 categories. Right? Easy to say out loud but harder to make the #1 priority. My goal this week is to do a quiet time EVERY SINGLE DAY. No excuses. I'm really good at excuses. Now I've publicly put it out there, so I have you to keep me accountable.

Food

We are on Day 8 (of 40) on our healthy eating plan. - It has been way harder than I thought it would be. I told you last week we are pretty healthy eaters. In fact we eat at home 3 meals a day 7 days a week. We occasionally will eat out but not often. I started to think about it and I can only think of about 4 times we've eaten out in the last 3-4 months. That being said the food part of this has still been a challenge. I don't think it's the dinners that are the problem, it's the cooking breakfast and lunch. Before, we did more of a simple type of meal (like cottage cheese and salad / Austin ate PBJ sandwiches everyday). Now we are cooking breakfast, lunch and dinner. That means 3xs the dirty dishes!


Today is the first time in a week that I have had a clean sink. I am not even kidding. The extra dishes have been a little extreme! Also the prep time for shopping and organizing took a long time. After I shopped I immediately washed all our fruits and veggies. That way when we got hungry we could easily grab a snack.  I know these things will get easier, but it is rough starting out.


Then anything that could be chopped was chopped. I tried to make it as easy as possible for my crew. 



I grabbed most of our stuff from the regular grocery store but I had to go to natural grocers for a few things. 

The first 3 days were great....THEN we all got stomach bug. So that being said our week was a little extra wonky.

Here's what we ate.

Breakfast:
old fashioned oatmeal with nuts

Lunch:
Smoothie 

salad with veggies OR eggs with veggies

Snack:
apples
oranges
organic ground peanut butter
nuts
smoothies
our extra special treat was 70% cacao dark chocolate (plan approved!)

Dinner:
stir fry with beef and veggies/ Tamari gluten free reduced sodium soy sauce - we made up our own recipe but you could easily cook any veggies you wanted in with some olive oil. We added beef to ours also. 
veggie ideas - asparagus, squash, zucchini, green beans, water chestnut, carrot, onion, garlic, peppers

black bean soup (I didn't add a pic because it looked gross!) 
we cooked an entire bag of black beans instead of using canned. We used 4 cups in the soup and then pureed the rest and added that to the soup also. When the soup was done we added avocados and a generous amount of lime. 


chicken, brown rice and veggies

And the best thing I ate all week:
A little guacamole!! I did avocados, lime, tomatoes, garlic. It was so yummy. I started to eat it with some veggie but ended up eating it with a spoon and it was delicious. 




Fitness 

We just started week 3 of working out! Austin and I have been doing Jillian 30 day shred every evening. I never knew how much fun it was to work out with my hubby before. I'm really enjoying it. Or maybe it's just that misery loves company. We picked the Jillian videos because it is 22 minutes of torture and then it's over. 

Friends

I am so thankful that we are doing this plan with our friends. The life group meetings and text message support groups are doing their job!! We would have given up after getting sick if it weren't for our friends...seriously. 

Focus

Still waiting to see what this chapter says!


I can do all this through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13








6 comments:

  1. Good for you guys! I think this is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl!! I'm gonna need you to stop posting yummy pictures of your food! HA!

      Delete
  2. I'm crazy impressed!! I'd be eating guacamole for every meal. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I may have bought more avocados at the grocery store today!!

      Delete
  3. I just ordered this book! It's good to see your pictures and know what we are in for!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh girl! you are in for a treat! It's been really amazing and really hard at the same time! Hopefully you are getting some ideas! I plan to keep blogging our weeks. I can't wait to hear what you think!

      Delete