Thursday, November 12, 2015

New Pendant Lighting - How To

Hello blogger world!!! This is Austin.  Megan has been asking me to work on some how-to items for a few of the things we have done in the house, so I figured I would start with the extremely easy pendant light. The one that I hung over our kitchen sink.  If you do not remember the fixture that was originally over the sink, here is the beauty that was there...


Items Needed:
-  Cleaned up and re-purposed light shade (you will see what Megan found below)
-  Hole saw attachment for drill 
-  Pendant light fitter (conversion kit)

Around the House Items Also Needed:
-  Cordless drill
-  Screwdriver
-  Wire cutters
-  Voltage detector
-  Drywall saw
-  Small piece of wood

Step 1 - Find an awesome looking item that you think could be turned into a light fixture.  Megan found this great item in Canton (go figure, right?).  The key is to find something that can be drilled to allow the pendant fitter to go through, and that a light bulb will fit into.

Step 2 - Because this was a metal fixture, I needed to purchase a metal hole saw for my cordless drill.  A 1 - 1/4" hole saw worked perfectly for the size needed for the pendant fitter.  Find something flat to put the bottom of the fixture against (I picked a spare 1x4 piece of wood) and drill through what will be the top of the fixture.  Make sure you are in the direct middle of the fixture so that it is easier to keep the fixture level when it is hung.  This hole saw made quick work of cutting through the metal...less than 5 seconds.


Now I will jump over to the location and electrical prep side of this project.

Step 3 - After what seemed like an eternity of holding the fixture up in various locations (just kidding...mostly), Megan finally picked a location of putting the fixture in line with the front edge of the upper cabinets.  I then took the junction box, centered it on the window and in line with the front edge of the cabinets, and traced the outline of it with a pencil.  I then took the drywall saw and cut through the ceiling along the traced outline of the junction box.


Step 4 - Pull the wire into the new hole.  I lucked out here, as there was not a ceiling joist in the way that I would have to drill a hole through and fish the line.  They were in the same stud bay, so I just reached through and pulled the wire into the new opening.  I will have to patch the small area where the old wire came through the sheetrock, but it is small and I am getting good at patching holes.

Step 5 - Put a small block of wood through the hole you cut for the junction box, and screw the junction box into the wood after pulling the electrical wire through.  I used a small cutoff piece of 1x4 wood and pushed it through the opening to sit flat on the top of the drywall.

Step 6 - After another round of holding up the fixture to get the correct height, you can cut off the excess wire length from the fitter.  In the picture below, everything to the left of the ceiling plate is what we cut off (they give you a lot of extra wire to work with for tall ceiling.  Strip the ends of the fitter wires and you can connect the fitter wires to the original wires; black to black, white to white and green to green.

Step 7 - Now just slide the fixture over the end of the fitter and screw on the trim piece that keeps the fixture on.

Step 8 - Plug in a decorative bulb and enjoy!!







2 comments:

  1. Gah! Fabulous work. You lost me at drywall cutter thingamajig. Poor tools. Eep! But for a fixture like this maybe I'd be brave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. girl me too!!! how about you buy the materials and I'll just send Austin over!!

      Delete