Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Mummy Dogs




I can't take the credit for coming up with this cute idea. If you've been on Pinterest lately you've probably seen these mummy dogs. I decided I was going to make some for my boys. The problem is, we don't eat hot dogs. Sure I'll let them have the occasional one at a birthday party but I have a serious issue with hot dogs. I know I'm weird like that! In the 5th grade I watched a 4-H presentation about how they make them...I just can't eat them. So I decided to modify them just a tad. 

All you need is some breakfast sausage and crescent rolls. This only cost $5.50. 


I used a pizza cutter to cut of the crescent rolls into strips. 

Then I wrapped the sausage in the strips.


I added some cheese to about half of them because I knew Baker would love cheesy mummy dogs. 

Baker "helped" and was so excited for them to bake.



And this is pretty typical anytime I'm trying to cook. 


So the cheesy ones turned out a little messy but Baker LOVED them. 


I added a few dots of mustard for eyes. If you are making them cute for a party I would suggest skipping the cheese or maybe cutting a slit in the back to add some cheese. 

AND the jury says:

"This is the best I've ever eaten" -Baker (age 2)
This is Fisher's more signal. 

They LOVED them. They both ate 2 each. If you've been following along then you probably know Fisher has some pretty serious food issues. Finding things he will eat is a big challenge. I need to test repeatably with him but I was very impressed.


"This is the best day ever" - Baker
I'm not sure if it was the "best day ever" because of the food or because we went to the zoo for the 3rd time this week! 

I think I need start thinking outside the box for fun toddler foods for my kiddos. Baker was so excited to help with dinner and then eat it. I'm challenging myself to get creative!! Go ahead and make this easy dinner or breakfast for your kiddos! They will love it. 





9 comments:

  1. Those Mummy Dogs look so cute (and simple too!). I need to make them for my crew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the queen of food my friend!! But I bet your crew would love them too!!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your success! I'll have to bake some for my grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tondi - they would LOVE them!! And yes me too! Always a score when Fisher eats them.

      Delete
  3. I like the Pioneer Woman plates your using. She has mummy dogs in her holiday cookbook along with some other fun foods. I was going to let Jake help me make the mummy dogs next week before we go trick or treating. I'm so glad Fisher ate! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I think the plates would look good at your house too!!! And Jake would LOVE them!!

      Delete
  4. Cute! And sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fisher ate all the leftovers!! so score! He was so mad when they were all gone.

      Delete
  5. GOOOOO Fisher!!! Those are seriously so cute...and sound yummy! I think I want to go make some for myself right now. :)

    ReplyDelete