Thursday, October 22, 2015

Abilene Zoo

This weekend we had the best visitor! Austin was gone for the week so one of my former students, Courtnie, came to stay with us. Courtnie is a sophomore at Texas Tech but I try to not hold that fact against her!!  My boys absolutely LOVE her!! Six years ago she and her little gaggle of friends were in one of my freshmen biology classes. It was my first year of teaching and I had no idea what I was doing!! Thankfully we all survived! I have been blessed by some amazing girls over the years. I don't know why they wanna hang out with me but they have blessed our lives more than they could know. They have babysat my kiddos and given then so much love. They have spent time in my home watching movies and just hanging out. I love when they call or text me and ask for advice. As a teacher, it's just a good reminder that what you are doing matters. If you are a teacher and/or work with kids just know, WHAT YOU DO MATTERS!! And if you are a young girl (or boy!) you can really bless a mama by loving on her kiddos. Come see me girls!!

This is a me (very pregnant) with Ethel and Courtnie at their graduation.


OKAY!!! So onto our weekend!!!

We had to show Courtnie one of our favorite spots in Abilene, so we headed to the ZOO!! We had already been to the zoo once this week but Baker loves it so much!! He would go everyday if I would let him! 






Right now at the zoo there is a voting station to vote on what conservation project they start next. If you aren't a member you get a washer to vote with your entry cost to the zoo. But if you are a member bring your pennies because for some reason you don't get the washer! Baker was ready to cast his vote!!  

Right now they are working on a huge habitat for their giraffes. It should be opening soon! Once it's done they are getting a new male giraffe and starting a breeding program. 

All week Baker has been asking me to see the "nemos." I had no idea what he was talking about until we got to the zoo. Clearly the "nemos" are flamingos.
After the flamingos, he wanted to see the rattlesnakes next. Honestly I'd be okay if we skipped this building all together. 
Fisher slept the entire zoo trip.

They brought out their two new camels for the kids to pet. These babies are just 10 months old!! But they weigh around 550 lbs!

Just in case you've never been to the Abilene zoo, here are a few highlights. They have:
Lions

And tigers


and bears!! OH MY!

Lots of birds
zebras

rhinoceros
leopard
cougar

And lots of areas for a fun picnic. 


We ended our zoo trip with a trip to the sand box! It's got a perfect covered area for mamas to sit and Baker could play there for hours. 





We had so much fun with Courtnie that we went back again on Monday. (yes that was our 3rd trip in one week)  Our zoo membership is paying off already! 










As I was looking for pictures on my computer I came across these of our visit to the Abilene Zoo in May of 2014. Oh my sweet baby boy!! 





We are really loving Abilene! The zoo is a really short drive from our house. I've been on weekdays and weekends and it's never been crowded. In fact on Monday morning there was NO ONE there! It was great. It's always really clean which is a bonus. It's not a huge zoo. You can get through the whole thing including a good sand box playtime in less than 2 hours. I love that it's easy for me to do alone with both boys. I would never attempt a bigger zoo alone. If you are local you should go check it out!! And let me know, I'll meet you there! 





7 comments:

  1. That Abilene Zoo is the real deal! Such cute pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome that you have that much of an impact on your students! That's the best kind of teacher. :) And the zoo looks so much fun. I really like the camel picture!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how much biology they know!! ha!! But I've taught them about life. That's what matters rights?!

      Delete
  3. Megan, great blog! Thanks for your friendship with my daughter & for being such a positive role model for Courtnie. You are 'the bomb!'

    Love, Chellie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan, great blog! Thanks for your friendship with my daughter & for being such a positive role model for Courtnie. You are 'the bomb!'

    Love, Chellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much!!! She is an amazing you lady!! Love her! Thanks for raising a good one!!

      Delete