Monday, August 31, 2015

The Walls Came Tumbling Down

Today is the big demolition day for the walls in our house!! (see our master plan here) The boys and I are headed to my moms to get out of the way. This will be dirty and I did not want to corral them both in a bedroom. Plus our air conditioner will have to be off during this time and we might not survive the heat or the small space. It's a good thing my mom is fairly close! I hope she doesn't get tired of us. I hate to miss some of the progress but I have demanded lots of pictures and updates from Austin.

When I get back this wall will be gone! It will be a huge 12 foot opening. Originally we wanted to removed the entire wall but it is the only load bearing wall running east to west in our house. We had an engineer out to look at it and quickly realized it was WAY more than we wanted to take on ourselves.
 
We hired a framing crew to remove the walls but Austin will finish them out himself with beams and columns. We had a beam in our McKinney house. Mike, my father in-law, designed it for us on a napkin at dinner one night. He then came back and helped Austin build it.
 
 
 


 
 
Don't you love them! It was my favorite thing about our home. I hated to leave those beams. They were beautiful. I know Austin will be able to build something new and fun and I can't wait to see the project unfold.
 
These pictures were from our McKinney home. My talented friend Christen at Blue J helped us stage our home before we listed it. She has an eye for design, sings like an angel and is the very best hostess! Her instagram, @blue_j_home,  is full of beautiful pictures of her own home and is my favorite place to find inspiration.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment