Thursday, August 27, 2015

Floor plans

After Austin managed to talk me into buying our house, we visited a second time for the inspection. Did I mentioned I wasn't a fan of a remodel with two small kids at home? On this visit we found the original floor plans. They were old and yellowed and amazing!! Austin is a builder so this made his day and reaffirmed that we made the right decision.


I love looking at all of the details in these plans. I know how much work went into making them and getting every house detail just right. There are about 20 pages of drawings.

We left these books shelves and updated them a bit. I will show you them soon!
 
Now is a good time to mention that I have the best in-laws. I do not like making big house decisions without them. Mike my father in-law is an architect and he has an amazing eye for colors and design. I remember the first time I went to their house and thinking it was beautiful. (Austin invited me home with him in college and we had only been dating 6 weeks! yikes!) They bought an older home that was in terrible shape and made it incredible. Ann, my mother in-law, likes to tell a story about how when she showed her mom the house she cried. That's how bad it was.
 
We showed Mike the floors plans and he created a master plan.
 
Original plans
renovation to do list:
-remove the L shaped cabinets and make it an eat in peninsula
- move the AC unit to current dining room door opening
-open up wall space that used to house AC unit to a 12 foot opening
-remove built in desk area
 
original
renovation to do list:
-remove the wall between the existing den and living
-open entry
-close the wall in the entry way to the hallway
-take out all carpet and tile (minus bedrooms and laundry) and put in wood flooring
 
 
I'm hoping this helps you visualize the bigger projects that we have going on. The large wall we are removing is the only wall (so load bearing) running east and west in the center our house so this is a BIG project.
STAY TUNED!
 
 
 
Ps. Don't worry we only marked up copies of the floor plans. I have big plans for the originals.
 

5 comments:

  1. The PERFECT blog title for your blog. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds like quite the undertaking! My husband developed our basement when we bought our current house - at that time we had a toddler, and I was expecting our 2nd - the plan was to be done before she arrived, and of course, she came a month early and before we finished. It was CRAZY!! You are brave, but it will be worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Isn't that the way it always works Nancy! Talk about timing but glad you got it finished! You survived though right!?!? That gives me hope!

      Delete